Dress in layers this winter
How do you survive a Melbourne Winter on the bike? The answer is to layer up and get out there amongst the elements.
Layer your clothing to stay warm.
"There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" Sir Ranulph Fiennes - Mountaineer
It is possible to stay warm and enjoy your riding this winter. It is all about what you wear and the combinations you choose. We have put together a guide to what you will need to get through a Melbourne winter. The key with Melbourne is to remember that the temperature varies. It is never just plain cold with the warmest clothing possible the best option. Because of that variation in weather layering is the best technique to get you through. It is important to have options when out riding. Things to put on and things you can easily take off so that your temperature can be consistent. We have broken things into two parts. Number one the clothes and number two the essential items that you will also need to survive this Melbourne winter.
1. Jersey - A second base that ensures you still look the goods when you are warming up with a post ride coffee stop
2. Long Sleeve Jersey - The Jaggad Merino Long Sleeve is an awesome go to item. The merino breaths and can be worn in variable temperatures. We highly recommend one
3. Gillet - Easy to take on and off or leave unzipped to regulate temperature in Melbourne Gilets are a must. We recommend Jaggad
4. Bibs - A great set of bibs ensures comfort and keeps your back warm. We recommend Jaggad Milk bar bibs for all day comfort in the saddle
5 Rain Jacket - Is it going to rain this winter? We know the answer to that. Are you going to let it stop you from getting you ride in? That's up to you. With a POC rain Jacket you will stay warm and breath even in the hardest shower. A once in a life time rain jacket worth every dollar to a winter rider.
1. Base layer - Keeping the core warm is key. A good base layer that wicks moisture away from the skin is essential. We recommend the Next to Skin range.
2. Arm and Leg warmers - Easy on and off when the weather changes throughout the day. We recommend GripGrab
3. Gloves - A great pair of gloves is a must in winter time. We recommend Grip Grab or Pearl Izumi
4. Booties - Keep your feet dry and warm. We recommend Grip Grab
5. Cap or Head warmer - Don't let or the heat escape through you head. Like hands and feet it's hard to stay warm throughout your head is not warm. These are also bits that you can remove to regulate heat if you are getting to warm from have layers of clothing.